MAKING YOUR OWN 2D VTUBER MODEL
(BEGINNER’S GUIDE, LYNNTSUNAMI’S WORKFLOW)
(thank you guys so much for all your support on this doc!! I’m so happy to hear it helps! A tiktok series version of this document is coming soon for the more visual learners, i will link them in here when those are ready, thank you ! )
EM HAS MADE AN AMAZING PRACTICE MODEL AVAILABLE TO PRACTICE YOUR RIGGING IF YOU DON’T HAVE A MODEL !!!
You can use Clip Studio, Photoshop, Procreate, just make sure it is saved as a PSD
START WITH A DESIGN
* Have a good reference/idea of the design you want to make. This will make the entire process of making your vtuber model much smoother.
* When designing, experiment! Play with it to get it to how you exactly want it etc.
* After you have solidified your design, you want to start with sketching!
* USE THE SYMMETRY TOOL, I cannot stress this enough. This is how you will get a really clean and even model and it will make everything so much easier. Of course you can turn it off when making asymmetrical designs that’s no problem BUT USE IT FOR EVERYTHING ELSE.
* I use a 4000x2000 300 dpi canvas but feel free to go higher for sure !
* When sketching you don’t have to worry about layering just yet so really get the shape making you want
* So you have your sketch, now it’s time to begin lining your model. When you do this, IT IS EASIER TO CUT UP/SEPARATE THE MODEL PARTS DURING THIS, rather than later. This can be really daunting! How do you know what to cut up? I am linking two LAYERING GUIDES that I used to help me with that!
* HIMEY’S LAYERING GUIDE: https://twitter.com/__himey/status/1302233959544233984?s=20
* HAMUARIA’S LAYERING GUIDE:
* When you are lining think about all the separate parts and this will make it a lot easier to separate/layer later
* KEEP USING SYMMETRY TOOL, you can just separate the Left and Right later when finalizing!
* THINK ABOUT THE MOVING PARTS YOU WANT. If you have a bunch of hair keep all the hair chunks on separate layers, if you have a bag, a zipper, a jacket, things you want to be able to toggle on and off, KEEP THEM ON SEPERATE LAYERS!
* This part is pretty straight forward, go through all your separated layers and flat color then render them as you want!
* I usually add a layer under the lineart layer im working on and render that, then will merge like in the next step vvv
* If you haven’t already, you merge the coloring and the lines of each separate part. Example: The arm lineart and the arm coloring now merge into just the arm layer.
* After you have finished the model visually, you want to separate the model’s lefts and rights that may be on the same layers. (FOR EXAMPLE: you used the symmetry tool to render the left and the right arm on the same layer, now separate them into Left Arm and Right Arm)
* REFER BACK TO THE LAYERING GUIDE TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EVERYTHING PROPERLY LAYERED THIS INCLUDES:
Eyes: top eyelash, bottom eyelash, top eyelid, bottom eyelid, eye shine, iris, eyewhite, sometimes pupil, etc. Lefts and Rights of each.
Mouth: top mouth, bottom mouth, teeth, tongue, inner mouth, etc.
AND WHATEVER ELSE
* THE LEFT BODY PARTS ARE THE MODEL’S LEFT BODY PARTS the lefts and rights are relative to the model. THIS IS IMPORTANT. The layering guides show this.
* * * Folders are your friend! Makes the rig artist’s life a lot easier and just keeps things organized because you are going to have a lot of layers!
* LIVE2D HAS LIMITED BLENDING MODES SO TRY TO KEEP IT AT NORMAL OR MULTIPLY
* Note that you can add extra layers onto your model!
* emotion layers Ex: Hearts, Star Eyes, Shading for Anger/Nervous
* Different Hairstyles
* Drawing Arm (separate the fingers, pen, hand, and arm for this)
* Different Outfit
* Whatever you want!
Please name your layers clearly and properly!
SAVE AS A .PSD !! and have all the layers visible !
THIS IS JUST A BEGINNER’S GUIDE THAT COVER’S PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING THAT GOES INTO THE BASICS OF MAKING A MODEL. THERE ARE OF COURSE DIFFERENT WAYS TO GO ABOUT THIS, I HAVE JUST FOUND THIS TO BE THE EASIEST AND MOST STREAMLINE WAY FOR ME! THERE ARE MORE ADVANCED THINGS YOU COULD POTENTIALLY DO AS MODEL MAKING AND RIGGING POSSIBILITES ARE VERY MUCH ENDLESS!
DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS!
NOTE: EVERY RIG ARTIST WILL HAVE DIFFERENT NEEDS FOR LAYER SEPARATION ! PLEASE COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR RIG ARTIST (if you aren’t rigging yourself)
IF YOU WANT TO RIG YOUR MODEL
THE PROGRAM IS: LIVE2D CUBISM
There is a 40-something day Free Trial for the full version!
EM HAS MADE AN AMAZING PRACTICE MODEL AVAILABLE TO PRACTICE YOUR RIGGING IF YOU DON’T HAVE A MODEL!!!
Here are a few great tutorial youtubers that go really in depth the full process:
really amazing in depth series, highly recommend, literally step by step, series of youtube videos for exactly what you need
has beginner and advanced tutorials, I would look at these after a step by step tutorial if you need more in depth step by step for a specific thing
KIRA OMORI MOUTH RIGGING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdS1G5ybkE&t=140s&ab_channel=DreamTroveDreamTrove
kira's videos are helpful, I find this one to be the most helpful !
CEIJDO/EM (amazing rig artist): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5G40W9JNR0&t=2394s&ab_channel=CeijdoCeijdo
shows a video process of her rigging
IT'S GONNA BE HARD AND CONFUSING THE FIRST TIME, IT GETS BETTER, if you feel discouraged the first time, going in a second time is much better, but if you are having a really hard time just know that it's completely normal and it's a big learning curve